I recently made the big switch from Blogger to WordPress and decided to go self hosted all at the one time. Which meant a very stressful few hours. I decided to write this post to help anyone else
crazy daring enough to try this.
*These steps are how I moved from Blogger to WordPress using Tsohost specifically*
1. Firstly after deciding to go self-hosted I had to figure out exactly what I needed to do. I decided to use tsohost as that seemed to be a popular choice. I bought my domain name (elandbabya.com) and hosting from tsohost. I’ve already been in contact with their support team (my stupid mistake which I will get to later) and they were very helpful. I paid £8.99 for the domain name and £2.99/month for hosting.
2.You will receive and email from tsohost giving you directions to access your ‘hosting cloud’. Using the login details they provide will lead you to the dashboard.
3. Installing WordPress application. From your cloud hosting dashboard > manage website > Application Options > Install Applications > New software installation > Find WordPress and click install. Keep not of the login details provided when you install, they will appear in a green box. (I didn’t and spent an entire day asking people for my own password!) (Also, make sure you allow cookies or wordpress will tell you your password is incorrect, log you out and make you look like a 5 year old blogger to the lovely support team at tsohost.)
4. Transferring posts from Blogger to WordPress. Login to your blogger account > template > backup/restore > download full template. (Save this somewhere it will be safe and easy to find later.)
Login to your WordPress account > Tools > Import > Blogger > Choose file (remember the one you put in such a safe place you can’t even find it? yeah, that one!) > Import. This will import all posts, comments, images and links. (These are not redirecting links we will get to those.)
5. Blogger 301 Redirect Plugin. WordPress > Plugins > Add New > Search: Blogger 301 Redirect > Install.
Once installed: Settings > Tick ‘Redirect Blogger post feeds to WordPress feeds’ > Save changes > Copy HTML code > Login to Blogger > Template > Edit HTML > Delete all Blogger HTML > Replace with the Blogger 301 Redirect HTML code > Save Changes.
Click the ‘gear’ under Mobile > Select ‘No, show desktop version’ > Save.
6. Google Analytics Plug-in. WordPress > Plugins > Add New > Search: Google Analytics Dashboard for WP > Install. Change the site from you’re previous blog url to your new url if you’ve been using GA previously.
I think I have covered everything although I have blocked the whole experience from my mind. I found Mum turned Mom’s post step by step guide for wordpress.com and You Baby Me Mummy’s post Top 20 wordpress plugins very helpful. My most helpful source has got to be Vickie from A Pocketful of Dandelions who is simply a WordPress genius!
If you’re thinking of making the move by yourself hopefully this post will help and if I you have any questions I probably am most easily found on twitter.