I have been a parent almost a year not (*holds back tears) and before that most of these things never even crossed my mind, but since having Aidan my priorities have completely changed and so I thought I would share my top 10 things only parents appreciate.
1. Bumpy Roads When you have a cranky/teething/tiring baby nothing (legal) knocks them out as quickly as a car journey on a bumpy country road. I have at many points felt like I was on a carnival ride full of twists, turns and jolts but it was worth it for the imminent quietness.
2. Nap Time & Bed Time Being a parent is great but every moment without them is also great. I don’t like to be away from Aidan so nap time is fantastic! It allows me to have ‘me time’ without shipping A off to somewhere else.
3. Hot Beverages In our house tea is like our crack – it is needed to function daily. We go through boxes of the stuff. Since becoming a parent I have learned to either drink it cold or reserve it until nap time and bed time for maximum enjoyment.
4. Empty Laundry baskets They say what’s seldom seen is wonderful – and empty laundry baskets are seldom (if ever) seen in our house. How can someone with such tiny clothes have so many dirty clothes? Once I managed to get to the end and I even paired the socks, that day I was supermom!
5. Farts Only when you sniff something similar to a 1,000 year old fermented egg with the intention of scraping it from it’s place of residence will you know the relief of finding out it’s a fart. The stinkier the smell the happier the face when it doesn’t turn out to be a poo-nami.
6. A lie in Similar to number 4, seldom seen and wonderful! I am not a morning person but Aidan seems to be getting earlier and earlier. A lie in is a mere memory that I cling onto the hope of reuniting with again someday.
7. Teeth The joy when you see babies first tooth! However, it’s not always because of the obvious milestone, sometimes it means the end of teething tears and sleepless nights! All hail those nashers, and calpol!
8. Baby wipes Everything! Baby wipes clean EVERYTHING!
9. The freezer Pre-pared meals and frozen foods will be your best friend. When you bring the new baby home from the hospital the last thing you need is to be standing over the cooker. And as they grow the need to hover over a hob doesn’t get any more appealing. Frozen pizza and chips? Perfect!
10. Silence …..and breathe out. Silence is truly golden.
What things are you most thankful of since becoming a parent? Apart from sleep which is the most amazing past time!